Monday, November 21, 2011

Comfort Food

Hubby and I have been seriously ill for the past week. It all started last Friday night. He was down with fever, cough, flu and of course with all that, body ache and headache had to accompany him too. By Sunday, he was super bad, despite being on antibiotics and meds since Friday. Had to rush him to a nearby clinic and he was given a cold compress immediately as his fever was 39.8 and rising. The doctor told me that I have to monitor him every 2 hours. And Sunday night, I caught the bug! Until today, we are both still recovering. This has been the worst bug ever. Someone even told me "hey, maybe the next thing you know, you are pregnant!". Yeah, I wish. To top it off, my periods came a week earlier! 

Anyway, back to the topic, we all have our own comfort foods. For me, I just wanted to have khichaddi or our version of porridge. The original version is just fragrant rice, lentils and spices. But I of course had to have my twist to it. I took out my pressure cooker, put it the washed brown rice - once the whistle blew twice, I added cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, lentils, carrots, onions, ginger and green peas. Let it boil and cook for another 2 to 3 whistles. Then of course, add salt and pepper to taste. And I added a little bit of raisins. Yes, no frying anything, and no oil. Oh and btw, if you want, you can add 1 tablespoon of ghee right at the end. Best served with fresh home made yoghurt! Yummiee! 

2 comments:

  1. Awww *hugs* hope you'll get well soon you both. You're on long MC then? It's the flu season coz of the crap weather.The porridge looks good, is that like punjabi style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah babe! Lonnngg MC. Friday was on leave. Monday, Tue & Thur MC. But it was no fun at all!

    Yeap, punjabi style. Actually, it's more like my style! Hahah I remember I made this when my grandparents came over as they love to eat Khichaddi. She was surprised that I put in vegetables etc and I didn't fry the onions first.. Thank God she was open minded and ended up enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Let's communicate!