Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Intrauterine Insemination a.k.a IUI

'Washed sperm', that is, spermatozoa which have been removed from most other components of the seminal fluids, can be injected directly into a woman's uterus in a process called intrauterine insemination (IUI). - Wikipedia

IUI
After our failed cycle with Clomid + Hcg + trying on our own, the doctor advised us to go in for IUI at the next cycle. We did. Eggs were ready and matured on Day 11. I was given the Hcg shot by the doctor himself. Was asked to come back the next day for the IUI procedure.

On the day itself, I was very nervous. For some reason, I knew that mine won't be as easy as it is suppose to be. Even my HSG was a nightmare. I woke up at the ambrosial hour to do my morning prayers. It was going to be a long day, I had to take time to pray.

First off, hubby had to go to a fertility centre at Damansara to produce his soldiers and get them washed. The fertility centre we go to, do not have a lab. At the beginning, we thought he could produce them at home, and send it over to the lab. Like what he did when the doctor wanted him to do the semen analysis. But then we were afraid he won't make it on time, being a weekday, and it has to be at the lab within 40 minutes.

Anyway, hubby did the necessary and had to wait for 2 hours to collect his then washed soldiers. I was nervous at home. Obviously. Well, he gave me the cue to leave and meet him at our clinic. He was to keep his soldiers that were in a glass tube and wrapped in tissue and kept in a small plastic bottle in his shirt pocket as it has to be at body temperature until the IUI procedure.

Once we reached the clinic, we submitted the pack of catheter etc that was given, to the nurse. In about 10 minutes, we were called in. I was asked to change and lie down. The nurse prepared all the items needed for the IUI.

Doctor walked in, tried first time to insert the catheter, it refused to go in. Same case with HSG. But here, my gynea is way experienced. He immediately knew, that the cervix was in the way. And to top it off, I have a retroverted uterus. It's tilted way to the back. He told me, I am sorry my dear, but this is not going to be as quick and easy. I replied, what else is new doctor? I am so used to hearing all that. I guess he knew, it was going to be painful.

You see, he had to get hold of my cervix, clip it, and hold it to one side, and then insert the catheter right to my uterus and shoot the soldiers in. The painful part was the dilating and clipping of the cervix. This time, I was so glad hubby was right next to me holding my hand. Can you imagine the agony I went through all alone doing my HSG? The radiologist used a metal catheter for God's sake! And just kept probing in trying to get to my uterus. Sigh.

Anyway, the doctor wasn't optimistic about this cycle. The reason is way too P&C to share. We were both very hurt. The doctor told us, we should do another round of IUI next cycle. It seems, one time may not be so fruitful. Well, we trust this doctor. As he is by far, the best we have seen. Nevertheless, he did say, keep your fingers crossed. Who knows? It may just work! But of course, if it does, there's still a scare of ectopic pregnancy.

I was on bed rest for 2 days. By the 3rd day, I was already able to walk about and didn't have bad cramps and soreness.

I do not know what's in store for us. I am a bit scared to keep going on clomid fearing of ovarian cancer. But then I don't want to regret one day looking back, that I should have tried. So for now, it's still IUI. We may have to look into IVF or ICSI, but we'll cross the bridge when it comes. It's too pricey for a start.

And the journey continues yet again!
 

Send baby dust our way! Pwwweeaaase!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this information. I enjoyed reading your blog and learned lots of tips

    IVF Treatment CT

    ReplyDelete

Let's communicate!