Monday, May 7, 2012

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)

  
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a severe form of premenstrual syndrome,afflicting 3% to 8% of women. It is a diagnosis associated primarily with the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle. Up to one-third of women diagnosed with PMDD report residual symptoms into the first 2 or 3 days of the follicular phase.

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Like PMS, premenstrual dysphoric disorder follows a predictable, cyclic pattern. Symptoms begin in the late luteal phase of the menstrual cycle (after ovulation) and end shortly after menstruation begins.
Emotional symptoms are generally present, and in PMDD, mood symptoms are dominant. Substantial disruption to personal relationships is typical for women with PMDD. Anxiety, anger, and depression may also occur. The main symptoms, which can be disabling, include
  • feelings of deep sadness or despair, and suicide ideation
  • feelings of intense tension or anxiety
  • increased intense sensitivity to rejection or criticism
  • panic attacks
  • rapid and severe mood swings, bouts of uncontrollable crying
  • lasting irritability or anger, increased interpersonal conflicts; typically sufferers are unaware of the impact they have on those close to them
  • apathy or disinterest in daily activities and relationships
  • difficulty concentrating
  • chronic fatigue
  • food cravings or binge eating
  • insomnia or hypersomnia; sleeping more than usual, or (in a smaller group of sufferers) being unable to sleep
  • feeling overwhelmed or feelings of being out of control
  • increase or decrease in sex drive
  • increased need for emotional closeness
Common physical symptoms include:
  • breast tenderness or swelling, heart palpitations, headaches, joint or muscle pain, swollen face and nose
  • an altered view of one's body - a sensation of 'bloating', feeling fat or actual weight gain.
Five or more of these symptoms may indicate PMDD.


Yes, I suffer from PMDD. Remember, not all women are the same. I for one, have severe excruciating painful periods! I do not know how else to describe it. I have the above symptoms that I have highlighted in bold. Others include unable to stand straight, walk, or even speak normally. And my back, OMG, it's like going to break any moment! The aching annoying pain at the lower back can be so bad. As it is I have scoliosis. Yes, I was born half paralyzed. Thanks to my mother, I am not a person with disability today. The pain and discomfort of my lower abdomen especially on my right, is so bad. I am on Day 3 today and it's much better. I have not seen the sky for the past two days. All I have done is curl in bed. My periods are getting from bad to worse. I am hoping with the laparoscopy now being scheduled, things would get better. 
There have been studies shown that there could be genetic links to PMDD. As for me, I think it is because my mom used to faint every month when she gets her periods. The pain was so bad for her. Her misery stopped when she removed her ovaries after having me. Well, I can't opt for that yet as I want a child of my own. Some studies have shown that intake of vitamins such as Evening Primrose Oil and Vit B would help, but it didn't work for me. Some also say that exercise helps. But that didn't work out either. I was hoping that this cycle, with the exercise and the new multivitamins the gynea has prescribed me, would make a difference. But it didn't. I still had PMDD this cycle. 


So what's in store for me? I have no idea. I can only hope & pray (yes, pray), that it will get better. The next step is doing the laparoscopy. It's scaring me. I can either lose 1 tube, or both. If both, there goes my chances to conceive naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's communicate!