Monday, June 25, 2012

Inheritance

Read this article today in The Star.

I agree with the writer - I quote "I don’t want to spend a gazillion hours hunched over a computer keyboard just so my children can sip Margaritas on a beach in Acapulco shortly after they’ve attended my funeral service."

I think it's safe to say, my husband would agree to this as well. To this day, yes, I know I have inheritance that will come from my family - I say family because it's going to be more than just my parents. But to this day, I never trained myself to even think that there is such allocations. We have enough of our EPF combined to survive through the old age and enjoy. Of course, by living moderately.

Why do people in general look forward to having the inheritance and claiming that it is their right to have it? Your right? Are you sure? How would you feel if you give your salary to your parents to go for holidays or to invest? Yes, salary cause I am sure you don't have so much savings anyway with all the parties, the clubbing, the keeping up with the trend lifestyle of yours. I am pretty confident that your reaction would be "It's my hard earned salary!". Did it ever occur to you that the inheritance you wait for is also their hard earned money? What makes you think you have the right to have it? By they giving it to you, it's not because you have the right to have it, but it's out of love, because they love you.

I do not have a child, yet. But I think my view wouldn't change. I wouldn't try to save and pinch just so that our kids can have a better future. They have to learn how to earn it. It is when they themselves have to earn for the money, they will value it. Just like how we did. Whatever we do, we spend on, we take responsibility for it.

Having said all that, yes, of course it's nice to know that there will be something for us from our family, but it's more of a bonus to us. Not something we have an eye on. And it's definitely not something we look forward to having either. Can you imagine, the pressure from just knowing how hard your parents have worked for it, and how easy it was for them to just pass it on to you?

I would honestly be more happier if my parents and in laws (yes, in laws) would use that money for themselves. Get a maid, go for holidays, buy things they have always wanted to buy, go for lunches, dinners out with their friends, go to private hospitals instead of government ones, get good medical supplies, have fun whenever possible!

They have raised us - no matter how that may be - and today we are adults who can stand on our own two feet. It's not our right to want to have all of their savings, their properties, their investments.... Nope. Not right to want.

If you have been given, then good for you and be grateful. If you have not been given, don't be ungrateful for the first 20 years of your life on the every penny spent on you.

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 25, 2012

    Of course, I have to agree with you. Great post.

    Cheers,
    Mary Schneider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary, for visiting this page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been a silent reader for a while, love this post, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel,
    Thank you for your comment! And also thank you for reading my blog. Do keep in touch and please do not hesitate to continue commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's communicate!