Saturday, December 29, 2012

Egg pick-up / Ovum Pick Up / Oocyte pick-up (OPU)

We reached KL Fertility Centre at 6.50am today. The nurse took my weight and height and showed us to our room. Honestly, we had no idea what to expect or what to do. When we walked in to our room, we just looked at each other. The room was like a hotel room. Well, what were we thinking - RM10,000 just for the OPU and embryo transfer; of course the environment would be the same standard. 

About 5 minutes later, I was asked to change into the surgery gown, and then I had to fill up some forms. Since I am not a patient here, so yeah, there was quite a bit of info to fill up and of course the many consent forms to be signed.



At approximately 7.30am, our doctor came to say hello. Again another consent form to be signed ;)  Anyway, he was happy to see us calm and collected. I was actually sitting in my gown next to hubby on the sofa, chatting and watching TV. 
 
A little while later, the anesthetist walked in. Very friendly. She explained that I will not be under full GA. Instead I would be under very heavy sedation. This is because it's an OPU, and the embryo transfer will be in 3 days, so they would not recommend me to take any heavy drugs. I did get a bit worried then and immediately asked her, would I feel anything. She confidently told me no, but I may be able to hear those in the OT talking. I suddenly had recalled my HSG Xray experience and didn't want that to repeat again. 

I was taken to the OT at 8.05am and was back in the room by 8.45am. Of course I didn't know anything until about 9.10am - the pain woke me up. The pain was really very bad and hubby told me later that I  had a tear roll down my eye. Since my threshold for pain is high, hubby knows when I say it's painful, it is really painful. I was immediately given a pain injection on my buttocks. 

I drifted off to sleep off and on. And during this time, someone informed hubby that it's time for him to produce his soldiers. By 10.30am, we were done with everything. I had a fruit and a few bites of cornflakes that was given to me, and a glass of orange juice. We then went upstairs to get the payment done. I was still in a daze all along. 

Then we waited for the doctor to meet us. He was delayed quite a bit. We only saw him around 1.20pm. Anyway, the surprising discovery is that my left ovary which was lagging, had 5 eggs sucked out. And the right that was responding so well, only had 2. Hahah The doctor kept trying to get more since the right had really good eggs previously, but none other than that 2. Hence, the reason why I had more pain than I should have. Yes, in total, we have 7 eggs. We know nothing about it for now, but we can only keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. May there be at least 5 to 6 embryos as well. 

Now my meds are:
1. Zinnat antibiotics - twice daily for 5 days
4. Daily supplements - most importantly Folic Acid

and:
1 tab twice daily at 12 hourly, taken orally
2 tab three daily at 8 hourly, taken vaginally

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's communicate!