Monday, August 26, 2013

Raksha Bandhan

Raksha Bandhan, (the bond of protection) or Rakhi is a Hindu festival primarily observed in India, Mauritius and Nepal(Madheshis only), which celebrates the relationship between brothers (shaurya), cousins and sisters (shreya). It is also called Rakhi Purnima in most of India.It is also celebrated in some parts of Pakistan. The festival is observed by Hindus, Jains, and some Sikhs. -Wikipedia-
My DIY Raakhi
Ever since my sister in law came into our family, I have started to observe certain festivals which I never really paid much attention to before. Raksha Bandhan is one of them. Probably because she is the reason I love my brother even more today than I ever had my entire life. I look up to him and at times I seek his blessings in some things that I plan to do (via my SIL of course!).

My brother is elder to me by 5 years. Our childhood was mostly spent apart, as I was taken care by our grandparents, and he was with our parents. I remember vaguely our childhood together when my parents were in Johor Bahru (having shifted from Sg Buloh). We used to play badminton together just by the lane next to our house. Whenever I was scared to sleep alone, I would sleep in his room. I remember when we were still in Sg Buloh, we fought over a fan. You know the small plasticky kind? We fought over many things I am sure, but I remember that no matter what, he was always there to protect his little sister. 

When I was in Raub and he in KL, he would call me every other day (or was it everyday) just to say hello. On my birthday once, he got me a portable CD player. I was over the top in joy! Haha When I came to KL just for a holiday once, he picked me up and took me to watch a Hindi movie in the cinema - Khal Nayak. He even took me to Menara KL because I said I wanted to see what it is like.

As the years passed by, I became very distant from him, in fact from everyone in the family. I guess the rebellious lot it me became uncontrollable. And the next thing I knew, I was getting married. Honestly my marriage just happened. My hubby didn't even propose or anything. It just merely happened because it was a thing to do. I never told my brother that hey look, I am planning to get married. I just wanted to get it over with.

It is only the day when my brother and sister in law hugged me good bye as they were returning back home, I suddenly wanted more time to be with them. Wanted to have the chance to talk to them. Over the years, we became closer and closer. Well, this is all thanks to my sister in law. 

My brother is a man of a few words, but I know that he loves me to bits. I know he cares for me. I know he will protect me from harm. He is the best of the best brother any sister can have. After all, I believe I am here because of him. He asked for a sibling. Unfortunately for him he got me as a sister! Hahah

Here's to another year to the bond of protection of a brother to a sister! 

My angpow :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's communicate!