Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Taking care of a preschooler


Today is the second time I am baby sitting my niece, a preschooler. The first time she came, I had planned out activities for her. This time around, I didn't, thinking that it will only be half day. Well, I should have. 

She is a very hyper kid and tends to lose focus easily on anything she is doing. I wouldn't label her as ADHD. She's just hyper. In NLP, we learn how to "break state" with a child who is either throwing tantrums or just doing a cry act to get attention, and today I applied that with her. She was taken aback and instead of continuing her tantrum, she just looked at me and asked what was I doing. And she forgot totally that she was throwing a tantrum (because she refused to take her afternoon nap). 

As she is now soundly sleeping, I stealthily came out of the room, and started finishing some work for a client's CNY FB posting. I just begun to wonder, what energy parents have. I doubt I have that amount of energy in me. Or probably the energy will come along just as when you become a parent. But still, I just can't help but wonder. 





To all parents out there, wow, hats off to you! 

2 comments:

  1. there was a dad who had to carry his daughter to a school for kids with special needs everyday and the interviewer asked if it was tiring.

    the answer is simple: a dad gotta do what a dad gotta do.

    imagining work is tiring but when it needs to get done, some people just gets it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! The energy just comes when you gotta do what you gotta do!

      Delete

Let's communicate!